Skip to main content

We all need Walls and Fences in this Christian Race

 


Therefore, let he that thinks he stands take heed lest he falls" (1Corinthians 10:12). NKJV
This has become a scripture that I can relate well with.

Here's a sneak peek into a story:

She’d walked into the call room one faithful day and in her usual manner asked: “Nne Kedu?” I broke down and wailed, she locked the door and listened. Now this was a lady I’d known that I needed to get close to when I arrived town newly but I didn’t do the full embrace because of maybe delayed obedience or perhaps the fact that I kept looking for opportunities without creating one. In Christianity, these things aren’t hard to create in a circle of Christians who understand why ‘we are’; fellowshipping with one another outside the four walls of the church is what drives home the relationship observed in this body, the body of Christ.

I sincerely gave this answer to her: “I’m not fine. I have exams tomorrow, and I’m here administering chemotherapy. Well, that’s not all…” I went on and poured my heart out. I was really having great pity parties that season and I wasn’t utilizing all the cloud of witnesses that God surrounded me with, I was on my own, helping myself alone sometimes. Although I had some who weren’t in my immediate vicinity like my discipler whom I utilized from time to time but we need fences to lean on in some phases of life, not just walls. Due to my distressing outburst that day, we had a conversation which has led to many more and I've been greatly helped by this one encounter.

After this particular incidence, another happened. It was also a pity party which ended in teary pools like all the others. On this day, we had grand rounds and I needed to be there on or before 8 am but with that mood, I wasn’t even ready to attend to patients much more attending an academic meeting. I showed up anyway but about 15 minutes late and plastered a smile just to get by. My Enchanteur and Tara did only a little job to help me. Upon arrival, someone just said  something like “why are you smiling, don’t you know you are late?” Wow! I wept again in the meeting, torn between leaving and staying, but I stayed regardless. Mummy J arrived the meeting later and at the end, she waylaid me, and our conversation went in the line of “for how long will you remain like this?” I told her I was crying because I’d backslidden greatly, many old habits were beginning to find their expressions back in my life etc. Well, these things have origins you see. The summary was that at that juncture, I had to relocate temporarily to her house because I was approaching the phase of “I didn’t want to be around people” depressive phase. I also remember another day when my discipler asked me to join them in a church family picnic and I declined because I'd rather not be around people. Anyway, I was mandated to come and I forced myself to play. However, I still found avenues to sob quietly whilst amidst people. It was indeed that bad.

Another cloud of witness and help also came to the rescue at another time: it was during the NARD warning strike and I was at work lending the tiny help I could to patients who needed it. “Ify, where will you be next week?” “I’m around” I said and the conversation went in the line of there’s somewhere the department want to send you to for a week, etc, “will you be free to go?” I shrugged, “why not?”  I later learned that it was a sponsored trip. Now, here was God showing me His merciful hand at the right time. A break from work was something I needed badly as times were very harsh for me at work then, my  turmoil was translating to workplace relationship strain. One week off was a good start since I needed more time to myself for proper recovery but none was in immediate view. The journey was quite therapeutic but upon my return, I’d experienced a physical assault from a patient’s mother. God in His usual merciful manner staged an encounter zone (LEDEYO) for me during my annual leave which I embarked on just few days after the ugly incident. My 6 weeks leave served as a great time of retreat and refreshment as I healed completely and I’m glad I found my first love, restored sweet fellowship with Him, received clarity and regained my voice and focus.

When I tried tracing the genesis of all that happened with me in the days preceding these experiences, I realized that I was offended with God. I made this realization when I was studying St. Matthew’s Gospel. Thank God  healing has come as He pointed out the blessedness of the unoffended, just as he told John the Baptist those very words as seen in Matthew 11:6. I even learned that on one of those former days, I had said God was wicked to me. I refuse to believe I ever said such a foolish thing because I can’t remember. May God forgive me.

In summary get walls around you, get them rounded and fenced because in moments of trial, it will be these walls that will form a stronghold of help for you so that you don’t backslide. In my situation, my fence was made up of God’s word, a discipler, elders, brethren and godly friendships. I want to believe these ones also upheld me in prayers throughout those trying days. So, your foundation must be God’s word, that’s the only way these fences can stand and shield you when need be.  He said in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that everything we will ever face in life, others have also been through them and God will always make a way of escape so that we’re not overwhelmed. Therefore, as His word helps you during trying times, the fences erected will enclose you until His word is made manifest in your life. May God help us all.

James 1:2-4  Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. ESV

Hymn:
We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll;
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
Grounded firm and deep in the Saviour’s love!

Remain blessed.

PS: backsliding here means to slide back. Gradually returning to things you have left. It isn't yet a fall. As seen in the Ephesians Church of Rev. 2:4, not loving God as I used to is a slide, not speaking graciously like I used to, responding to every accusation, snapping, not yielding to the Holy Spirit and hence fulfilling the desires of the flesh etc. All these are backsliding and that's what is meant here. Thank you. 


Comments

  1. PS: backsliding here means to slide back. Gradually returning to things you have left. It isn't yet a fall. As seen in the Ephesians Church of Rev. 2:4, not loving God as I used to is a slide, not speaking graciously like I used to, responding to every accusation, snapping, not yielding to the Holy Spirit and hence fulfilling the desires of the flesh etc. All these are backsliding and that's what is meant here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a discipler, please can you be my discipler?

      Delete
  2. I need a discipler. Can you be my discipler please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send a mail let's talk more. Or a chat if you have my contact

      Delete
  3. Thanks Ify. I won't be carnal. I will always be grateful to God for His walls around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Ify. This is lovely- using your experience to nurture others in the faith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Waiting

Day 225 Dear, Lately, I've had to pore over my life and have some things checked over again. I wish I was with you already. Reading Eric and Leslie's book has taught me alot and that's part of why I'm writing. The waiting has been long, I don't just mean The Waiting , I mean the waiting of  Heb 13:4 😄🤗. Okay so here's what I wanna say: the pull is getting stronger, but I suppose I'm getting stronger to wait too. Yup!✊ After the last 'no' which left me devastated, and my disciplers sending me across to James 1 and my personal Discovery of 1Cor10:13 , I have a renewed hope to wait. It isn't easy I must confess, having to be on the receiving end and having to consider requests upon request and listening intensely to God to hear O Tread in this path, and never hearing it all these years. I am becoming tired, but for the Ludys , I should stick a lil longer and for all those lessons learned from the above. And for you beloved, lemme stick a lil

Inner Beauty

I remember where you brought me from,  Lord I thank you for where I am today,  I see you doing a new thing in my life, Lord I thank you for the future I see🎶 It's been awesome having walked with God for the past 6 years. The journey has been excellent and I know He hasn't finished with me yet. I surrendered my life to Christ when I was 20. And what that meant was that the formative years of my life were almost over. I thought I had picked up a personality and a way of life that would mold me into the future but Mercy said "No". I'd go on to share an aspect. Prior to knowing Christ, I fussed a lot about my looks. On getting to know Him, I still did continue on this path but He (The Lord) began to point at how I dressed, and how I idolized my hair. I was keen on doing whatever it was to make the Lord, my Master happy. So, whatever I felt was the way forward in pleasing Him, I quickly embraced it.  I gained a great measure of help but I also tilted towa