Skip to main content

PURPOSE


Scenario 1

As a teenager, I loved to find my identity in the things I wore. Designer brands trended in my world. From expensive Louboutin and McQueen to affordable Chanel, Gucci and the likes. I was particularly crazy about fragrances. I'd surf the net for good ones with a 'name' but yet within my pockets reach. I believed scents said a lot about a person and I had read in a women's magazine that in order to appear like a decent lady, you needed a feminine perfume that smelled good enough on close range but does not leave a trail 5 miles away as that would only scream 'notice me!' 

Due to my quest, I stumbled on Taylor's White Diamond that was gifted my mum but she wouldn't let me have it. I saw Paco Rabanne's Million Man and went online and saw Lady Million which would cost me a fortune if I ventured into it, so I let it be. One day at the market, I stumbled on Victoria Secret's Beauty Rushes. It seemed the perfect scent at the time. I needed to leave lasting first impressions😇 and viola it worked.

One day as I strolled casually down the school street, I met a classmate and he immediately started screaming: your perfume smells nice, wow wow etc. Well, in a way, it was what I wanted but Christ already started a work in my life then and I felt perhaps, I shouldn't wear scents that will leave people who came close to me screaming on the road.😆

But come to think of it now, Christ actually needs us to wear fragrances that will leave such effects on people. It's the goal of Christianity that everybody we come in contact with will know that we have been with Christ. Either by mere presence or our actions or whatsoever. We are His aroma on earth and should leave trails even 10 miles away. This is the general purpose of our calling. To be an aroma to God and to our vicinity.

2 Corinthians 2: "14 But thanks be to God! For through what Christ has done, he has triumphed over us so that now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Gospel like a sweet perfume. 15 As far as God is concerned there is a sweet, wholesome fragrance in our lives. It is the fragrance of Christ within us, an aroma to both the saved and the unsaved all around us. 16 To those who are not being saved, we seem a fearful smell of death and doom, while to those who know Christ we are a life-giving perfume. But who is adequate for such a task as this?" TLB

Scenario 2

Recently, I was having a conversation with one of my brothers and we talked about how age seems to influence maturity although age isn't a true representation of maturity. He talked about the difference in the conversation he had with two young adults with age difference of 4 years. The older one seemed more focused or seemed to have a more distinct view of what life holds. I agreed with him as I have also noticed a lot of difference between the girl I was at 20 and the woman I'm becoming.

The last 3 months of my life before this NYSC year had me working in a paediatrics hospital. I had never been more sure about whether this is the path I want to tow for life like I was in those months. At the beginning, I was skeptical about pursuing that headlong as I felt perhaps I may have more time to do that in future while I could use that time to work in general hospitals to pick up skills as a general doctor rather than 'specializing' early. Nonetheless, as I waited for NYSC, it was clear God wanted me to be in the children hospital.  I didn't fight it, I obeyed. And the more I worked there, the stronger my convictions. But then came a young man who had the same opinion I had previously who didn't think I was doing the right thing by narrowing my options early. He felt I should not be in the hospital but in another place. His points were valid but I had a conviction and at that junction I knew I had no business pursuing a relationship with such a fellow who didn't believe in where I thought God was leading me to. It would be a suicide mission. I used excuses to avoid even a first date.

Knowing what I carry and whom to help in my pursuit of God is very important and an extra baggage of differing goals wasn't welcome. I began to appreciate God that at 26, I still had time to understand myself and get a clear path to follow. At 21, I'd have probably given that brother an ear. Although these are not matters of age as God can reveal purpose to a 16 year old. But since we know in bits, I forever remain grateful for having the opportunity to serve a child health facility while I waited for the National Youth Service Corps. The children ministry must be fulfilled in the clinics and otherwise.

Acts 20:24 "But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." ESV

Scenario 3

These past weeks in  Makurdi has been turbulent. From being rejected at my place of primary assignment (PPA) to being accused of inducing the rejection to back and forth movement of getting a new placement and travelling to meet up with other engagements. In the midst of all this, the temptation to become discouraged or fold my hands until it clicks was very strong. I've been staying at NCCF family house and somehow, I was tempted not to be relaxed intially. Yet, no other place would have been a safer haven for a believer. The communion has been glorious, although the former heart disposition would have robbed me of that. In the midst of this waiting, I came across these quotes:

"If you're waiting on God, do what waiters do: serve!"
"Stress isn't only a joy stealer. The way we respond to it can be sin."
- Ann Voskamp

I didn't need to survey my area much to find work as the kids came flocking around daily. I had to search out the address of Children Evangelism Ministry (CEM) as this would be a good year to finally attend the training course. Since NYSC practice will be outside of child health, getting current/future training on child spirit and soul health wouldn't be a bad idea. I had to get busy while still going to the offices to disturb those keeping me. If we're not treating them in the hospital, we can treat them on the streets. This seasonal purpose may as well turn out to be a long lasting one.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:" ESV

Comments

  1. This is heavenly. It is a life transforming message. I'm happy you discovered your purpose and you are following suit.

    All thanks to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is beautiful. It's amazing how God keeps ordering our steps and revealing what He would have us do as we walk with Him.
    Thank you for sharing, ma. 🙇

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purpose, the centrality of our living. It makes life linear. Thanks for refocusing me!

    Interesting read Ify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wao, this is interesting. God's ways are always perfect. May God perfect all He has started in your life. May this message inspired other and help them not to go astray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ify, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really wonderful, I'm loving,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Waiting

Day 225 Dear, Lately, I've had to pore over my life and have some things checked over again. I wish I was with you already. Reading Eric and Leslie's book has taught me alot and that's part of why I'm writing. The waiting has been long, I don't just mean The Waiting , I mean the waiting of  Heb 13:4 😄🤗. Okay so here's what I wanna say: the pull is getting stronger, but I suppose I'm getting stronger to wait too. Yup!✊ After the last 'no' which left me devastated, and my disciplers sending me across to James 1 and my personal Discovery of 1Cor10:13 , I have a renewed hope to wait. It isn't easy I must confess, having to be on the receiving end and having to consider requests upon request and listening intensely to God to hear O Tread in this path, and never hearing it all these years. I am becoming tired, but for the Ludys , I should stick a lil longer and for all those lessons learned from the above. And for you beloved, lemme stick a lil

Inner Beauty

I remember where you brought me from,  Lord I thank you for where I am today,  I see you doing a new thing in my life, Lord I thank you for the future I see🎶 It's been awesome having walked with God for the past 6 years. The journey has been excellent and I know He hasn't finished with me yet. I surrendered my life to Christ when I was 20. And what that meant was that the formative years of my life were almost over. I thought I had picked up a personality and a way of life that would mold me into the future but Mercy said "No". I'd go on to share an aspect. Prior to knowing Christ, I fussed a lot about my looks. On getting to know Him, I still did continue on this path but He (The Lord) began to point at how I dressed, and how I idolized my hair. I was keen on doing whatever it was to make the Lord, my Master happy. So, whatever I felt was the way forward in pleasing Him, I quickly embraced it.  I gained a great measure of help but I also tilted towa

We all need Walls and Fences in this Christian Race

  “ Therefore, let he that thinks he stands take heed lest he falls" (1Corinthians 10:12). NKJV This has become a scripture that I can relate well with. Here's a sneak peek into a story: She’d walked into the call room one faithful day and in her usual manner asked: “ Nne Kedu? ” I broke down and wailed, she locked the door and listened. Now this was a lady I’d known that I needed to get close to when I arrived town newly but I didn’t do the full embrace because of maybe delayed obedience or perhaps the fact that I kept looking for opportunities without creating one. In Christianity, these things aren’t hard to create in a circle of Christians who understand why ‘we are’; fellowshipping with one another outside the four walls of the church is what drives home the relationship observed in this body, the body of Christ. I sincerely gave this answer to her: “ I’m not fine. I have exams tomorrow, and I’m here administering chemotherapy. Well, that’s not all…” I went on and poured